Tuesday, December 20, 2011

FTM2012 Web Search on Family Search / Web Clip

What if, you want to search on another website, such as FamilySearch.org.

Select the Person you want to do a search for, and go to the Web Search Workspace:
















Normally, the Ancestry.com Search screen will be presented.

In an earlier post, I provided instructions on how to add a Personal Favorite Site: Adding LiveRoots.com Search Engine

For this case, I added Family Search and it's URL familysearch.org














In selecting Family Search, I am taken to the Family Search website, where information in typed in.























I entered William Knapp. The nice thing about this screen, is that in the lower left corner is some data about the person I am searching for.















In order to trim down the results, the Birth Year of 1700 was selected. (Birth years were in 100 year intervals). Death Year of 1800 (again 100 year intervals) and that the sex is male.












Scrolling down the list of hits, one was my person. Am able to check a couple of items, right from that screen to know that this IS my person. Clicking on that record shows additional information.












Now, how to get that information into Family Tree Maker.  The Web Search Workspace, in the Lower Right box, has a Web Clipping feature. This is where you select data and create information that will be merged into Family Tree Maker.










The above in in the Lower Right box. Hovering the mouse over that 1st ICON on the Right, and clicking on that ICON will Enable the Clipping feature.

Once it is enable, you hi-light (drag your mouse across) the Name, in this case. With the Name selected this window will open where you select that type of information that you have selected. In this case, Name.

You then go to the next piece of information you want
























Will select the Death Date, and in the pop-up window, select Death, Date.























Other items were also selected. But want to point out that somethings there will be another window that opens. I wanted to capture that he was a Shoemaker. Selecting Shoemaker the only Fact that is offered is Other, and will want shoemaker into the description field.























 Here is where the other window appears. It will be a list of Facts in your file, in this case, Occupation is that Fact.























So now the Shoemaker information will be in the Description field for the Occupation Fact.

As you select these fields, they will appear in the lower right box. This is where you can compare this new information against the data in your existing file for this person.








Once this is reviewed, then you click on the Merge ICON.










You now will be presented with the normal Web Merge Screens, where you can further define what you want included in the Merge.



















I noted that in the third choice, the Shoemaker description was going to be discarded. I don't want that information to be discarded. I had a date and locate in the Left Panel (information in my file), but in the Family Search screen, it only provided the occupation. So, I need to change Discard to Alt. That is done with the pull down menu on the right end of Discard.



















The Next button will provide the Merge Summary.


















Merge Now will complete the transaction.

Returning to the People Workspace, Person View, we can review what was just done.












The birth date and location is hi-lighted above, and the Citation is in the RH Panel.

Copyright © 2011 by H R Worthington

8 comments:

  1. When I try to search a family member with the web clipping icon highlighted it will not search. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO BECAUSE iCANNOT SEARCH ANYONE IN MY TREE NOW. HOW DO I RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,

    Search First, then when you select a "hit" then use the Web Clipping ICON, just link this blog post shows you. These screens were taken as I did the search and the Web Clipping.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read your article with interest. I want to transfer information from the family search site in the same manner as described.

    After finding the information and setting FTM to give the person and the "facts" tab selected. I cannot get the web clipping tool to work as described in your article or in the tutorial etc.

    Is there a conflict problem with windows vista?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Are you hi-lighting some information? and is the Web Clipping ICON active?

      Russ

      Delete
    2. The icon appears active, but does not have any effect. The drop down menu does not appear regardless of what information you have selected or what site you are on

      Last night I read another site with lots of correspondence of people with the same problem. You had contributed to the discussion.

      It is clealy a widespread problem that FTM do not want to acknowledge.

      The one thing that appeared to work was by first installing V2011 before installing 2012. I dont have a 2011 version so I am going to try the 2009 version first.

      Any suggestions.

      Bob H

      Delete
    3. Bob,

      Yes, I am aware that some users have the same experience as you. I don't know why, if it works for me, that it doesn't for you.

      What Version of Windows are you using?

      What Version of MS Internet Explorer is installed on your Computer?

      Perhaps these two questions will lead to a solution.

      Thank you,

      Russ

      Delete
  4. Russ,

    Thanks for your help. I read through the other web site and they had explored all the variations of IE,Windows etc to no effect.

    I am not a computer buff and most of it was above my head. But the last two posts were promising as they cured the problem after installing 2011 and uninstalling 2012. Rebooting and reinstalling 2012.

    This morning I have now tried to do the same with the 2009 version and it has worked.

    I am sure many other people are having the same problem so I hope they read this email to help them sort it out.


    Bob H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,

    Thanks for the update.

    I always have 4 or 5 versions of Family Tree Maker on my computer but haven't experienced this problem. I am glad that worked for you.

    Thank you,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly