Wednesday, September 25, 2013

FTM2014 - Sources and why to use the Template Feature

This blog post has been a long time coming, but since a FTM2014 user asked, on Face Book, I thought I would share my experience and to justify to myself why I spent most of 2012 cleaning up my citations.

In FTM2010, we were giving the Source Template feature. I have blogged about that feature and how I use it, have provided some examples that other users have given me to show them how to use the Template feature and my struggle / leaning how to use this feature with the 1940 US Federal Census.

 What I haven't shared are the Results of that effort. Not an oversight, but more of I haven't cleaned it all up yet. The new feature in FTM2014 has me restarted. Another user was having a problem with Sources so we did a Google+ Hangout, with the screen sharing capability. I happened, by accident, to share a Family Group Sheet, and showed what the EndNotes looked like when you use the Template. That was the first time, in FTM2014, that I have actually looked at the New Feature in FTM2014, and the way the EndNotes are handled.

In my previous posts on the features, this wasn't really hi-lighted as a change, but when I did the screen share, I saw it. So, I thought I would share it here.

This is a Family Group Sheet from FTM2010 BEFORE the Template Feature.



 The hi-lited numbers should be superscript but are not. The EndNotes are sequentially numbered. Of note, is that Marshall Strode does NOT have any Citations. I thought that weird. So, I pulled up his Family Group Sheet (still in FTM2010) .

Two things to note, and it's difficult to see, is that there is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 listed to the right of his Name. The non-superscript numbers are a little clearer on the other fact entries.


 The Sources section of the Family Group Sheet is here. This is for the the top Family Group Sheet. The format is wrong, and the Source list has no "white space" / blank space between the EndNotes.


For the 2nd FGS, for Marshall Strode we see.

Much the same but there are two census records and the reference (1) to the book are repeated on the next page of the report.

Now, to FTM2014. Same Family but showing the results of the free form source to the Template feature.



During the clean up, I found some information that I hadn't entered, from those existing records, and rather than seeing 1, 2, 3, 4, we see 1-4 and it is in superscript.

Each of the yellow hi-lited entries are 1, 3-4, and 3, 15, and 2, 5-13, etc.

AND you will notice that the Father now has EndNote numbers.

In this case, Marshall Strode is referred to in the first 10 EndNotes (1-10)



The EndNotes now look like:


Theee are blank spaces between the EndNotes and they are in the Evidence Explained! format.

This example, for me at least, is WHY I spent so much time moving to the Source Template. That is the End Result. I didn't share these before, but am now, thisis the way that FTM2014 formats the EndNotes.

_______________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2013 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly