Monday, February 4, 2019

User Question: How do I batch delete unused Place Names ?


Here is the Question
I am in the midst of a major tree cleanup, moving large amounts of people into other files or deleting them. I am also doing general cleanup of the database. I am finding a lot of place names that no longer have anyone linked to them. I am assuming that the people originally attached to these places are no longer in the database. Is there a method of searching for "orphan" place names and doing a batch delete?
Quick Answer: You Can't BULK Delete Place Names without a Fact linked to that place.

My suggestion is to put the Place Names in the FLAT View, then use your down arrow on your keyboard and look in the Right Hand Panel.

I suggest that, rather than using a report, base you can Delete the Unused Place name tight here.

Yes, there is manual clean up work after you do clean up.

Also, BACK UP BEFORE you do any of this, then do a Compact and Back Up when you are done. You don't have to do that ALL at the same time. I suggest making a note as to the Letter of the alphabet that you have completed, so you can pick up where you left off.

____________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2019 by Cousin Russ

2 comments:

  1. Its too bad the "Compact" function wouldn't clean up orphan records like these.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Bill, the Resolve Place Names can help you

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly