Friday, January 14, 2022

User Question: Media Files

Response to User Question:

There are a number of questions but I will attempt to answer each of them here.

Where to Add New Media:

Where should I Add New Media (ex Photo) first? To..... 1) Person or 2) Media workspace w source & citation?

That depends:

I work on Media files in the Media Workspace. BUT, I also ALWAYS have a Citation on my Media Files. And I create Citations FIRST. So to answer your question, based on What I do, I start in the Sources Workspace, Create / Craft the Citation and ADD that Media File to the Citation. 

I started updating my media with sources & citations but notice that linking the photo to a person, person's name or other fact does not add to the Person media on the bottom left panel.

When I have the Citation, now with the media file, I then LINK to the Profile, Normally, just to the Person, not any Fact. (using a photo as the example). I would only link a media file to a Fact, if that media item was a document, saved as a Media File.

I don't and any media files in the People Workspace, Person Tab. (your bottom left panel). I want that media file with a Citation. In the Media File, Description, I also Paste the Citation. If it is a group photo, for example, above the Citation would me Left to Right: .... type of information describing who is in the photo.

Should I always add media to the Person lower left panel? I feel all media associated with a person should appear here then when you click on a fact in the upper panel the media will also appear in the right panel associated with a source/citation.

You certainly can do what you want, I can only share what I do.

What is this lower left panel's function?

Lower Left Panel, on what screen? 

Is that panel just for my viewing?

If you want to look at a Media File, Media Workspace and select the Media file and if you double click it will become larger. Not exactly sure what you are asking. 

I read that if you wish to have your family file backups smaller then do not add the Media by copying but rather choose the LINK option. Keeping my family file smaller and utiilizing a separate media folder on my computer is preferred.

It depends on what you want that back up to do, later on. Yes, if you do not include Media the FBC file will be Smaller, like an Automatic Back Up. No Media files.

Again, my opinion. I want ONE File for ALL of the Media Files for that one Family Tree Maker File. < filename > Media. The Media files in the Folder, will ALWAYS BE Copies, for me. The original media files will be in separate folders on my computer. The only Media files that I don't have elsewhere on my computer are Record Media files from Ancestry.

Is sounds like you are trying deal with diskspace in your question. I MOVE all of my Back Up files, including Media Files, from my Hard drive to an External Hard Drive. Both my hard drive and external drives are backed up to the Cloud automatically.

I tested with 2 different media by ADD NEW MEDIA to a PERSON one by top option (copy) and 2nd by bottom option (link) and cannot see what is really happening. I have read everything on your blog and the Family Tree Maker Companion Guide but nothing seems to show me this specific situation.

Sorry, don't understand. Try my suggestion then see if that gets at your question. Use a one or two person test file.

The link vs copy option seems to come up in a few situations when dealing with Media and the choice may be different depending on where/how it the Media was first added. If I understand what happens with one piece of new media then cleanup of existing media will be simpler.

As I said earlier, I ALWAYS use the Copy option, NOT Link. The Link allows you to use a Media file somewhere on your computer. When you do a Back Up, that Media file will NOT be included. The link will be there and there is a "find missing media" utility, but I want EVERYTHING for that file, using the Compact and Back Up feature, in the Tools Menu, where the Back Up includes the Media Files.

Lynn
FTM2019 (started researching in 1999 ... on an off again)

All of the above lets me sleep at night, knowing that if something happens to my computer or family tree maker database, I can recover quickly. Oh, and yes, it has happened to me. 




____________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2022 by Cousin Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly