Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Genea-Musing Blog for FTM2012

A blogging colleague has been identifying issues with the Exporting of a GEDCOM file in FTM2012. In his posting of October 17th Exploring Family Tree Maker 2012 - Post 7: More GEDCOM Trials I thought that I would try to duplicate his experience. To date I have not

This blog post will document for us, Randy and I, what I am doing as I go, so he can see the steps I am taking and he can, if he chooses can do the same thing. With hopes that one of us identify what is going on.

I had an Ancestry Member Tree (AMT) that DearMYRTLE, another Genea-Blogger, and I used in a Webinar on AMT's. It was already Online, and I had not used FTM2012 with that tree to date.

The first thing I did was to Invite Randy to be a Guest to this tree. Under Manage Tree, Share, this screen was brought up.















This screen capture was taken AFTER I did the download, but this screen, using the Gmail link in the left column, is how I invited him to this AMT. Permission Settings may be changed in the future for Randy.

Then in FTM2012, I selected this AMT to be downloaded and Linked.













This is the Plan Workspace, Download from Ancestry and Request Download was selected.

The Data from the Tree was downloaded and the Media files are now being downloaded as seen below. I will take NO action on this file until the Media Download is complete.









The download has completed and the More button was selected to see the statistics of this file can be seen. Key to note, the Number of People and the Number of Media files.

















Here are the statistics from the AMT.




















The Number of people is 142 in both places, which is good. However the Media number may not agree with the AMT summary. FTM2012 shows 28 Sources and 126 Media (154), while the AMT shows 87 Photos and 65 Records (152). I point this out, as I do not think that the AMT summary and the FTM2012 summary "count things the same way" and how media files are linked.

In FTM2012, a Media file can be linked to a Person or a Citation as a Media File. One Media file, linked to a Citation, may be used by any Fact that is linked to a Citation.

Looking at the Media Workspace, the 126 count is at the bottom of the screen. In this example, in the Media Workspace, you can see that some of the Media files may be linked to a Person, and others linked to Citations.
























Taking one individual, you can see that 2 Media files are linked to the Person and 5 are linked to Citations. In this case, there are 5 Citations, (1st column on the Name Fact line) and 5 Media files (2nd column on the Name Fact Line). The Person Media Tab is selected on the Left, below the list of Facts, and the Media Tab is selected in the Right Column with the Name Fact selected.















What can't be seen in this view, is how often these 7 media files are used. In the above image, for example, the 2nd image on the right is used as indicated below. This is from the Media Workspace, selecting that Image, and selecting Details for that image.



















That image is Linked to 4 Facts, for 3 different people.

In AMT, that same Media files shows up for Elsie May

























This is to provide a hi-level view of this file with hope that it will help show how media files are used in FTM2012 and AMT.

In FTM2012, we'll Export this file to a GEDCOM file. From the File Menu, selecting Export, Selected Individuals, I will select ONE person, Hiram Edmund Deats, from the Left Panel, and click on Include > in the center and his name will now appear in the right panel.
















After clicking on OK, the Export format window will appear.. We will select GEDCOM 5.5.


















To further define the GEDCOM file format, Other, ANSI will be selected.















The GEDCOM file will then be created. This file can then be emailed to Randy.

For this blog, we will Open that GEDCOM file. What should happen, after I email this GEDCOM to Randy, along with a Zip file of the Images for this file, he should be able to open the GEDCOM, and Link the Media files and see what is shown below.

This is the import summary. 1 Person, 6 Media Files, 16 Sources.





















No, the next image is the new files, Media Workspace. Keep in mind that these images are already on this computer, so they will be there. When Randy receives the GEDCOM file AND a Zip file of the Media Folder, he will then use the Find Missing Media feature in FTM2012 to link the media files that are indicated in the GEDCOM Links to media information.


This shows the 6 Media files. Going to the People Workspace, Person Tab, those 6 images can be seen, 2 in the Person Media, and 4 in the Facts Media Tab.









The GEDCOM file is created, with one person in it, now to get the Media files into a ZIP file to email to Randy. The 6 images were copied into the Media Folder for this FTM2012 file. Right clicking on the Folder Name ( <filename> Media) the option for the Zip application that I use, 7Up, has a link to put all of the files in this folder into one ZIP file to be attached to an email.

.



















When this Blog is posted, I will send an email to Randy, with 1 person in that GEDCOM file and a Zip file with the images. He open the GEDCOM in FTM2012, and Unzip the media to the Media Folder for the filename he creates for this test.


Copyright © 2011 by H R Worthington

11 comments:

  1. I've actually recreated the problem in my file. I tried doing selected individuals with the same settings Randy was using and my media files did not show up.

    This is a shot in the dark, but I don't copy the media into my file, I link it to where it is in a separate folder in my Genealogy Data folder. Could this be what is causing the error?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,

    What problem did you re-create?

    What is the Error Message you are seeing?

    FTM2012 Find Missing Media may find the media in the separate folder. I make a Copy of my files that are in my normal Genealogy Data folder. I want TWO copies.

    I haven't heard back from Randy, but he should be able to find the Media files that I sent to him in that Zip file. You should be able to find your files on your Genealogy Data folder. This Blog post does not address that situation.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russ,

    The problem I recreated was on import from a gedcom file, I am getting no media files imported. All my media files are intact because I work from my Dropbox folder and make weekly backups to an external hard drive. There is no "missing data", just that the media files aren't showing up on import from a gedcom file. There are no broken links, it's just like they were never there.

    In one of my FTM2012 files, I verified that the media files were present. Then I exported the one individual I wanted into a gedcom using Selected Individuals, and imported that gedcom into a new file. There was no media present in the file after import. No error message at all, just no media imported into the file, even though I selected to export media.

    This is really a curiosity thing for me now because I like to test things out. When I see people are having problems, I like to see if I can recreate them. It just so happens this time I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen,

    Please understand, a GEDCOM file will NOT contain ANY media files. I have tried to show that on this Blog. What IS in a GEDCOM file, From FTM2012, are Links to the Media Files.

    When you go to the Media Workspace, on the Imported GEDCOM file, what do you see?

    What program are you using, when you Import that GEDCOM file?

    In your example, selecting one individual, Did you open that GEDCOM file and do a CTRL+F and search of "jpg" without the quotes? Did you find any links to the JPG files?

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen,

    Please send my your email address and I will send to you what I sent to Randy.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Russ,
    I went ahead and posted a blog entry showing you the process I went through. You'll see that I did open the GEDCOM in Notepad and searched for jpg, and didn't find anything. Then when I opened the new file in FTM2012, there was absolutely nothing in the Media tab. This tells me the issue probably lies in the exporting and not the importing. I'm going to read up more on that so I understand better which options I'm choosing.

    I never expected for the images themselves to appear, I knew that I would have the missing media icons appear. I'm sorry for the confusion because I understand that I might have made it sound like that.

    I don't understand what you mean by what program I am using when importing the GEDCOM. I am using FTM2012.

    I am going to do some more testing to see what could be happening on the export of the file.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathleen,

    Please reply with a link to your Blog for others.

    What GEDCOM Options did you use on the Export?

    I wanted to confirm that you were using FTM2012.

    Thank you,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Russ,

    My blog post

    I used Gedcom 5.5 and then Destination>Other and Destination>FTM2012 and Character set>ANSI and UTF-8 and all had the same results.

    I did another test of un-checking the "Only include linked items for the selected individuals" and that gave me the missing media icons for all the linked media, but at least it gave me something!

    Okay, I know sometimes the stupidest question is the answer! I was just making sure though. :)

    N, thank you! You're so helpful when it comes to FTM,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay one last post from me for now, I did one final test and that was I attached a picture to a person (bottom of the person page), as opposed to a source citation (right of the person page or source citation screen).

    The picture that was attached to the person linked through the gedcom process just fine.

    Maybe this is an issue of how the media is linked. Again, I'm just throwing ideas into the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathleen,

    Weird. I looked up at the screen to see what I had checked for this test, and the bottom box was checked.

    I looked at 6 GEDCOM files.

    GEDCOM5.5 - FTM16
    ANSI
    ASCII
    UFT-8

    GEDCOM5.5 - Other
    ANSI
    ASCII
    UFT-8

    The file size, the number of Lines were ALL the same. Only line 11 changed. That is the ANSI, ASCII, and UFT-8

    So, it doesn't make any sense.

    Please click on Help, About. What is the product Version you are using?

    Thank you,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathleen,

    You said:

    "The picture that was attached to the person linked through the gedcom process just fine."

    What was the check marks when you generated that GEDCOM file?

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly