Saturday, December 22, 2018

User Question - Siblings that are Direct Line Ancestors

A Reader Question:
I have both a brother and a sister as direct ancestors of the home person. The program defaulted to the brother with the yellow arrow because he is a 5th great grandparent while the sister is a 6th great grandparent. How can I make both of them as direct great grandparents. With this problem I am unable to do a mtDNA chart of mother to daughter etc.
If you have the relationship correct, they both will appear as "direct" Great Grandparents. 

An Quick Check go to the "Brother" in the People Workspace, Person View, in the right panel, is the Relationship to the Home Person correct? Repeat the same for the Sister, ans is that correct. I am guessing that is how you saw the 5th Great Grandparent (father) and 6th Great Grandmother information came from.

You can versify this when you go to the Tools Menu, Relationship Calculator, starting with yourself as the selected person, (top field) and the "brother" in the 2nd position, and see what the Relationship is between your self and the brother. Then change the brother to the "sister" and make sure that this relationship is what you expect.

A hint may be that when you look at the Relationship field, there may be a (#) after the word Relationship, indicating that there may be more than one relationship going on.

Looking at my own database, I have two brothers that are 7th great grandfathers, both brothers have the "yellow arrow" that you mentioned. That makes me think, that in your case, you are not seeing the 2nd "yellow arrow".

On the surface, this sounds like a data entry / relationship issue within your database.

I looked to see if I had situation like you described and I don't.


____________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2018 by Cousin Russ

7 comments:

  1. I know this is a three year old post, but I just came across a similar situation:

    I have 2 siblings in my tree who are both my 7th great grandparents, but only one has a yellow arrow. The other is indicated as a 7th great uncle. Perhaps the reason is that he is my 7th great uncle twice (yes twisted family, lots of endogamy), but I would prefer to see him as my 7th great grandfather with a yellow instead of a black arrow. Have you been able in the past three years to find out if it is possible to change the relationship to the home person that is shows?

    Of course in the relationship calculator I can see that he is my 7th great grandfather, but I just really like those yellow arrows to immediately see that someone is a direct ancestor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss,

      Only data entry, with the appropriate relationship can change that.

      Ridd

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the response, Russ.
      I have all the right information entered, but it just won't show it the right way. I don't know, must be a glitch in the system or something.

      Kind regards,
      Marlies

      Delete
    3. Marlie,

      No glitch, Data Entry.

      What do you mean by "right way"

      Can you be more specific?

      Russ

      Delete
  2. Weirdest thing... It somehow just got fixed by detaching and reattaching a few people! Thanks for your help, Russ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MissBob,

      Not weird, normal. You corrected the relationships.

      Russ

      Delete
    2. MissBob,

      Not weird, normal. You corrected the relationships.

      Russ

      Delete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly