Monday, April 7, 2014

FTM2014 and Ancestry Member Trees - What Next

After a delightful chat with The Editor of Evidence Explained forum  I thought I would post an update and my next steps:

This discussion has to do with a Proper Citation for information added into FTM2014, using the Template Feature. I have posted two earlier blog posts on this;

FTM2014 and Ancestry Member Trees


FTM2014 and Ancestry Member Trees - an Update


The first blog post I had selected the totally incorrect Template. I was thinking about how the data looked like in a Family Group Sheet, and the web page looked to me like a Family Group Sheet.

The discussion with The Editor pointed me to the QuickSheet for Citing Ancestry.com® Databases & Images: which I have right next to Evidence Explained: Citing History Resources from Artifacts to Cyberspace (this link is to the electronic edition)

The format should be:
1. “Public Member Trees,” database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 4 April 2014), “Cowan Mulliner Woodruff Kerr” family tree by Crista Cowan, profile for Richard Ridgway (1679-1718, d. Bucks, New Jersey) undocumented data updated March 2014.
The closest I could get to this was:
"Public Member Tree", database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), accessed 05 Apr 2014; "Cowan Mulliner Woodruff Kerr" family tree by Crista Cowan, profile for Robert Ridgeway (b. 24 Aug 1631 Devon, England - d. in Devon England) undocumented data updated March 2014
Close, but not so much; There are a couple of issues that are different.
"Public Member Tree", database, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), accessed 05 Apr 2014; "Cowan Mulliner Woodruff Kerr" family tree by Crista Cowan, profile for Robert Ridgeway (b. 24 Aug 1631 Devon, England - d. in Devon England) undocumented data updated March 2014
Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com), accessed 05 Apr 2014;

There are two things about this piece of the Reference Note:

  1. I have to remember to change "The National Archives " which comes from within FTM2014 where I cna not control what it says. I have to change that to Ancestry.com
  2. The second is that the "accessed" date should be within the parenthesis of the Website: (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 4 April 2014) which means that I have to manually edit that piece of the Reference Note. 
The problem here is, that the Source Template, for the Public Member Tree can't be edited to include the date that will be used in the Reference Note. Here is what I had in the Citation Detail screen.
accessed 04 Apr 2014; "Cowan Mulliner Woodruff Kerr" family tree by Crista Cowan, profile for Robert Ridgeway (b. 24 Aug 1631 Devon, England - d. in Devon England) undocumented data updated March 2014
All of the information is there and it can be edited but IF I have to use the Reset for the Reference Note, I have to Edit it again.

I am putting the follow note in the Source Template Comment Field:
Change The National Archives to Ancestry.com
Cut the "accessed" date inside of the parenthesis (http://www.ancestry.com) with a ":" so that it looks like  (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 4 April 2014) 
Then I will copy the correct Reference Note into the Citation Notes field, so that it can be returned to what it should be, before the Reset option was used.

The likelyhood of getting the Template feature to do this, is slim to none. Its a minor technical detail, but it's based on THE Standard.

This is my new "standard" work around for this type of a Source and it's citation. Each citation using this template will be handled this way. I have submitted, on the Feedback forum, to add a New Template to handle The Public Member tree issue. That is, to use the same Template, but to have one where The National Archives is changed to Ancestry.com.

_______________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2014 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly