Friday, August 6, 2021

FTM2019 - Remove Person Notes from AMT

This is a follow up to FTM2019 - Remove Media files from an Ancestry Member Tree 

Ancestry had made some changes to their Terms and Conditions on the Website that impacts me, and probably everyone else, we read what had been provided. 

The Legal Genealogist blog is on MUST READ blogs, as I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV or on a blog. The bottom line for me, is that I have less than 30 days to remove my Media Files from the Ancestry.com website, on any of their properties, including an Ancestry Member Tree (AMT). 

Another MUST READ Blog is Genea-Musings. The author expresses his concern and plan of action.

This post is handling of Person Notes in FTM2019. They were created by me, each note has a citation below each item in the Person Notes. I consider that, my content.

Over time, I have been working on bringing all of my Notes up to My Standards. That is, has been, and will be a work in progress. But, I want to pull them all down, for now. Do some more clean up then I may, or may not include the Person Notes in the Ancestry Member Tree.

  ____________________________________________________________
Copyright © 2021 by Cousin Russ

3 comments:

  1. Russ, many thanks for the videos you have published. I have about 1900 ancestors in 2017 FTM with most having notes. I have 4400 image files, but many are Ancestry owned.

    I cannot understand Ancestry's reason for their recent "terms". The little bit of money they make selling picture/notes of those who do not remove them from Ancestry, will be offset by all of the subscribers they will lose. I am one they will lose.

    Doing research from the Ancestry site would be hampered by not being able to view the notes/pictures on the ancestry site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. jvoracle,

      I am not sure you are understanding what the T of S change means to us. I do suggest you ready The Legal Genealogist blog post.

      Ancestry is NOT SELLING any User created content, that is Notes and Media files. They are USING them.

      Also, this action has nothing to do with your Subscription to Ancestry. Your subscription pays for ACCESS to their Records.

      Your Content and Media are still YOURS.

      That is my understanding of the change.

      Russ

      Delete
  2. Cousin Russ, Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly