Saturday, April 14, 2012

Census Citations - Revision

My genea-blogging friend, Randy Seaver, posted this yesterday.

Creating a 1940 U.S. Census Source Citation in Family Tree Maker 2012

 It got me to thing IF I really have the use of the Template feature right. After reviewing that blog post, I figured that I was not doing it right. When I looked at an EndNote, there was some duplication in the information. That's not right.



Back to the drawing board, and I needed to look a little closer at what information came from the Source Template and what came from what I was doing.

Since I already have a Template for Chester County, Pennsylvania, I see the information that is coming from the Template. The example from Evidence Explained! wanted the word County, as do I, after Chester. So, on the Template, I added County, after Chester.. The rest of the information is "fill in the blanks" for the Template Form. Year, State, County, Publication Number: is T626 for 1930, and the Film foll number: can be found is various places, including the information provided by Ancestry, if that is the source of the Census Record. In this case, it is 2012. Ancestry.com is the Website Title, the Database publisher is Ancestry.com Operations, Inc, located in Provo, UT, USA, and this database was created in 2002. The URL is www.ancestry.com.

I clicked  on the ICON to the right of the "+" on the right.


Now, as a reminder of what I want to put into the Citation Detail and Citation Text, I put the format in the Comments box, that is high lighted.

Enumeration District (ED) __, Page _-_ (stamped);

_____, _____, _____household, lines __ - __

The Enumeration District will be used in the Citation Detail and the household line will be in the Citation Text.

When I do a Census Record, I do it by household, capture everyone in that household, but use this one Citation for each member of the household. That is why the word household is there, and the line numbers for the household.

I then high light, Copy and Paste that information for me next Citation.


This is the pasted view for the new Citation. Now it's fill in the blanks. Here is the updated view and notice the Reference Note. Information from the Template, the Citation Details, and Citation Text are now in the Reference Note.


To help with the fill in the blanks, I copy the Source Information from Ancestry.com, and paste it into the Citation Notes Tab. I can see every thing I need, except the Row Numbers. I note them when I look at the image, BEFORE I merge this Census Record.


To illustrate:


The wording is changed to meet the Evidence Explained! format.

The end result, Reference Note, looks like this:

1930 U.S. census, population schedule, Pennsylvania, Chester County, Enurmation District (ED) 79, Page 5-A (stamped);. Uwchlan, Route 52 - Family 108, Henry Russell Worthington household, lines 19-25; NARA microfilm publication T626, roll 2020; digital image, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com).

My duplication is gone.

Please note, that I am NOT a Citation Expert and will take comments, but I think the appropriate information is being presented.

UPDATE: I added the words "digital image" immediately after the line number. So, the Citation is:

1930 U.S. census, population schedule, Pennsylvania, Chester County, Enurmation District (ED) 79, Page 5-A (stamped);. Uwchlan, Route 52 - Family 108, Henry Russell Worthington household, lines 19-25, digital image; NARA microfilm publication T626, roll 2020; digital image, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com).


________________________________________________________________  
Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly