Friday, September 21, 2012

FTM2012 (704) - Place Name Hierarchies - Resolve Addresses

I don't know about you, but I have a lot of Street Addresses in my Database. I mark them all Private, but they don't (or should I say had not) fit into the Place field in the past.

The the update to FTM2012, this issue has been resolved. This example has 4 street / complete addresses. In the Past, I had to Ignore the Place Name warning. Also, note the "Lock" on the left of the Address Fact Name. That is an indication that the fact is private.


Selecting the first entry, will put that information into the Right Panel. At this point, there the warning ICON is NOT there, because I had ignored that warning. However, clicking into that field, the Pencil (edit) ICON will appear to the Right, clicking on the ICON will open a new window. Please note what that window says:

Place detail (historical name, address, church, cemetery, etc).



 The item is selected. Just below that Place Detail text, on the left are two arrows. The top pointing down, and the bottom one pointing up. Will click on the bottom arrow. That will take that first part of that address entry and move it to the upper Place detail field.


 So, the Address is in the Place Detail field and the City remains, with the Place Name authority below that. Clicking on Replace, that will replace the "new" place name with the Place Name authority Place name.


Now in this case, there were 4 such entries for that address. You CAN, although I don't to that, as I prefer to do one entry at a time, update those 4 entries.



 The Result is the New Place Name, with the Pin AND the Full Place Name in the full Hierarchical format. State, County, City, Address, in this case.

 Looking back to that first screen, the first entry has not been updated and the address is in the new format.



_______________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

2 comments:

  1. Russ, What I'm finding when I do this with addresses is that I lose the pin placement on the map.

    Take your example for instance. In it's original form, it will drop a pin on the exact house on the correct street, which is fantastic.

    Now, when I click the up-arrow, move the street address up, resolve the city/county/country, the pin placement doesn't understand the street address and just drops a pin on the city.

    Ideally, FTM would give you the option to lock the pin position before resolving the PNA, but it looks like I have to go manually adjust the pin for every street address I resolve?

    Just curious if you're seeing the same thing, or if I missed something along the way.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erick,

      I receive an message reminding me of an Pin Placement.

      I am also seeing that I am returned to the Not Resolved list, once I edit the Resolved Place Name.

      I am putting the Pin WHERE the Cemetery Listing is showing up. I have reported a couple of Cemeteries that are NOT at the right "level". At the County level, and not at the City/Town/Local level.

      I have created a list of Cemeteries that don't show up on the Map and will send them to the feedback link when I have cleaned up my database.

      Russ

      Delete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly