Tuesday, September 25, 2012

FTM2012 - Specific Source Useage Report

As a follow up to Randy Seaver's recent posting

Creating a Specific Source List Report in Family Tree Maker 2012 

It appears that I miss read what he was after. I had picked up on the clean up aspect of what I was working on, and missed Randy's task.

What I was trying to do, was far more complicated then Creating a Specific Source List Report.

Going to the Source Workspace, selecting a specific Source, there is a Printer ICON with two options. One of which is a report for this specific Source. 

 For my specific example, I chose the 1940 Census Record for Pennsylvania, Chester County. That was the same Source used in my earlier post.

FTM2012 - Source and Citation Clean Up

 It lists all of the Facts, that had citations from this specific Source (Chester County, Pennsylvania). In this specific case, I have 12 pages of Facts from 15 Citations from that one Source.

_______________________________________________________________

Copyright © 2012 by H R Worthington

8 comments:

  1. Aha - there is an easier way to get the list. But I don't see the citation detail in the list using the Print icon - I see only the Source and the Fact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      That is why I didn't propose this report the first time. I would just print the piece of the report in my first reply, for the Source I wanted to review.

      I am going back to see if I can get closer to what you want.

      Russ

      Delete
  2. OK, if I had picked the "All source citations" I would have seen the source citation detail, I think. I just crashed the program trying to do it...

    I'll fix my post when I can get some screens up.

    There are so many bells and whistles ... in all of the programs!

    Thanks - Randy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      I didn't think that is what you wanted, for that specific reason.

      My first blog on the Roots Magic 2 post, still stands and it gave me, all Citations, and what Facts were involved. The report is Long, but only part of the report would get to your one Source, like I focused on the 1940 Census for a specific County.

      Russ

      Delete
  3. Hmmm, 1498 pages for the All sources. And no citation details.

    I think I was right with the first comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      You are absolutely right. No Citations.

      Russ

      Delete
  4. Russ, I think one of the very powerful features of FTM is that it links citations (not just sources). So if you have a citation used many places (for example the same page number in a book), if you have to "clean it up" you can do it once instead of going into every fact in the database and changing it multiple times. I'm probably not expressing this clearly but I think you know what I mean. In regard to Randy's clean-up task, this can be a real time-saver. I'm rather surprised I never hear this feature mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff,

      You can clean up the Citation once, and all linked Facts will be updated.

      To Edit the Citation once, go to the Sources Workspace, select the Source you want, then select the Citation.

      Each of the Linked Facts will be updated. To see WHAT facts will be updated, there is a Link tab near the bottom of the Center Panel.

      The Source Usage Report has been there. I had started to use that report for my clean up.

      But, I think Randy is right, we should have the option to select ONE Source, then generate the Source usage report.

      Thank you for your comment.

      Russ

      Delete

Please post your comments here

Print Friendly